Personal injury and wrongful death cases are very similar. The negligence of another party causes both. However identical, the two allow the victim to claim different types of damages. In Los Angeles, a wrongful death attorney can help you find out what applies in your case.
In this article, we will go over the main differences in claims.
Personal injury damage claims
Victims of personal injury are entitled to the following claims:
1. Lost wages: Income lost due to the inability to attend work as a result of physical harm caused by personal injury can be claimed.
2. Hospital bills and other medical costs: Costs incurred for the treatment and medical care of the injured party at present and in the future as projected by professionals including those from before the claim was made can be awarded as long as they’re a direct result of the incident stated in the case.
3. Pain and suffering: The injured party can be awarded a pain and suffering claim based on the perceived disruption of their normal life and activities caused by the injuries sustained.
Wrongful death damage claims
The surviving family of the victim is entitled to the following claims:
1. Lost wages: Their family can claim lost wages that are based on future earnings of the victim.
2. Hospital bills and other medical costs: The family can claim all the medical bills incurred until the time of death.
3. Funeral costs: The surviving family can claim the full cost of the victim’s funeral including any related expenses.
Dealing with personal injury and wrongful death cases is very difficult. Because laws vary from state to state, it’s best to consult an attorney to assist in your case.